Do you have issues with your self esteem? Do you always look at yourself in the mirror and have negative thoughts about yourself? Do you feel like everyone else is better than you? Are you done with these feelings and want effective self esteem activities that will boost your confidence and help you accept yourself the way you are?
If the answer is yes, then you’ve come to the right place.
Our post today lists 7 effective self esteem exercises that will literally change the way you see yourself.
Before we get down to the activities let’s address why building a high self-esteem is so important.
- Your life becomes simpler: When you love yourself more everything in life feels simple. If feels easy to walk in public. It’s easier to socialise with people. You don’t blow situations out of proportion. You don’t beat yourself down instead, you feel happier.
- You experience inner stability: When you feel good about yourself you have the self confidence of knowing that you are enough. You quit looking for validation from other people. You stop seeking people’s attention and being needy because all that matters to you is your opinion about yourself. You experience stable emotions and your mood is not based on what other think or say about you. The best part is that you finally figure out how to deal with anxiety and you’re not anxious anymore.
- You don’t self-destruct: When you’re feeling bad about your self-image, you will always beat yourself up for making mistakes. You will be too hard on yourself even for simple human mistakes. Too much of this will destroy you. You may even drag yourself into depression. If your self confidence on the other hand is high, you will look at yourself positively and always want to go for the good things in life. Things that make you better and happier.
- You become a person people want to be with: When your self esteem is high you will have a positive attitude towards life and you will have a more positive energy making you a person that people want to be with. Because you are less needy, you become more giving and you will never feel like a burden when relating with others. This is a very good quality especially when dating. Nobody wants to be someone who is needy and sad all the time.
- You’ll be happier. The higher your self esteem the happier you will be. You will want to do things that make you happy and be with people who make you happy instead of seeking people who make you feel worse about yourself.
Now that you understand why self esteem is important let’s get down to the best self esteem activities you should start doing today:
Now, let’s dive deep into our top 7 self esteem activities
1. Challenge yourself within limit
The inability to achieve a goal will greatly affect your confidence. The more you fail the more you stop believing in yourself. You start thinking that you’re not good enough. The truth is that if you are always setting yourself to fail, you will always fail no matter how good you are.
When setting up goals and challenges always go for realistic and achievable goals. If you do not have a singing talent it’s impossible to achieve a singing career. It is impossible to lose weight within a week. Set your goals within reasonable limit.
Don’t keep beating yourself up for not achieving unrealistic goals. Instead, set up challenges you can achieve and keep increasing the challenge as you get better.
2. Have a vision board
Seeing is indeed believing. Think of all the nice things you want to achieve in life and put them on a vision board. Creating a vision board is not only fun, therapeutic, but also very effective in helping you achieve your goals.
Do you want to travel to some exotic destination? Print out a picture of the place and stick it on your vision board. Do you plan to start your own business? Write down your business goals and put them on your vision board. Whatever the dream, put it on your vision board.
The more you see something the more you’ll want it and the harder you will work to make sure that you achieve it.
3. Boost your low self esteem by doing something nice for yourself
Whenever low self esteem creeps up on you, do something nice for yourself. When your esteem is low you tend to feel like you don’t deserve anything good. Like you are not good enough to enjoy life.
Fight the feeling by going out and doing something good for yourself. Get a new haircut, go shopping, take a trip, spend a day at the spa. Anything to make you feel good and to appreciate yourself.
4. Pursue a hobby alone
Having a hobby is a creative way to build your self-worth especially if it’s something you can do alone.
Pick something that you enjoy doing. By doing it alone you have no one to tell you how you’re supposed to do it, there is no competition and you therefore, do it under your own terms and for pure enjoyment.
A hobby can be anything that you are passionate about and makes you feel good. It doesn’t have to be something you’re good at.
5. Be conscious of your health
Eating properly and taking care of your health is important make it does not only keep you physically health but also ensures that you stay mentally healthy.
There are so many foods that we eat that affect our moods so be conscious of what you eat. Nature your body with healthy foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, cereals, and whole grain products.
Add regular exercise to your daily routine. This doesn’t have to be anything strenuous, a 30-minutes walk daily is enough to improve your self-esteem and confidence.
6. Build your self image with daily affirmations
Sometimes all we need is to remind ourselves that we are worthy. The things you tell yourself will determine how you view yourself. Build a positive self image with daily affirmations.
Make a list of affirmations that make you feel good. If you feel unloved remind yourself that you are loved. If you feel unattractive tell yourself that you are beautiful. If you feel like a loser remind yourself of all the things you’re capable of.
Make a list of the affirmations given below, and stick it someplace where you’ll be seeing it everyday. Here are a few good affirmations:
- I love myself.
- I am smart.
- I am beautiful
- I am an achiever.
- I choose happiness.
Repeating these affirmations daily will replace the negative thoughts with positive ones and eventually change your perception for yourself.
Practice these self esteem activities as much as you can and you will start noticing a boost in your self confidence and you will start feeling better about yourself in no time!
Have you struggles with low self esteem in your life? How did you deal with it? Share your experience in the comments section.